Hardly any other car from the 1970s inspires technology enthusiasts and design freaks of the automotive heritage today. Under the hood, a V8 2.6 liter engine awaits for road use: with four overhead camshafts, mechanical intake manifold injection, and dry sump lubrication, its power is transmitted to the rear axle thanks to the ZF five-speed transmission. The ZF SD DL 175 self-locking differential prevents the rear wheels from spinning, and the clutch was supplied by Fichtel & Sachs. From standstill, the car could accelerate to 100 km/h in less than eight seconds, and reach a top speed of 220 km/h.
Alfa Romeo had given up racing in 1951, but the company remained true to the sports car concept. They gradually began to build the cars with self-supporting bodies, but this was complicated and very expensive. Bertone's chief designer at the time, Giorgetto Giugiaro, built a prototype based on the Alfa Tubolare chassis, the Canguro in 1964, which did not go into production, and then the car was well received by Alfa. His successor, Marcello Gandini, was therefore commissioned to produce a similar model; the result was available by the 1967 World's Fair in Montreal.
With the goal of keeping with the times, the original thought was a mid-engine sports car, but this design was already discarded for the prototype, as only the 'Giulia' platform was available for time and cost reasons. The car was originally intended purely as an exhibition model, but the prototype impressed the worldwide public so much, that Alfa decided to produce it as a series model.