ZF in South America
ZF Brazil - the first site of ZF Group outside Germany
On August 15th, 1958, in São Caetano do Sul, ZF has started to build the company's first site outside Germany, at the same time when the automotive industry started to grow significantly in Brazil.
The first product manufactured in the country was the transmission supplied for the vehicle DKW Vemag as early as 1959. In less than a decade, ZF Brazil also began to act strongly in the commercial vehicle segment producing transmissions and directions. A few years later ZF has started the production of maritime reversers for working vessels and pleasure, which represented a sign of diversification of the company's operations.
With production increasing continuously, the capacity located in the ABC site came close to the limit, and the solution was to open a new site in the country in 1981. ZF Brazil inaugurated the industrial complex of approximately 700,000m² in Sorocaba, São Paulo, which soon was producing a new line of products: axles and transmissions for agricultural machinery. In 1997, all production of São Caetano do Sul was transferred to the Sorocaba site. With market growth and increased product portfolio, ZF has extended the amount of productive plants on the continent, with the units of Araraquara, Diadema, Engineer Coelho, Lavras, Limeira, São Bernardo do Campo and São Francisco, Argentina. In addition, ZF has commercial offices in Buenos Aires (AR) and Bogota (CO).