ZF Technology for Cars
Automatic TransmissionBack to overview
8-Speed Automatic Transmission
A marvel of innovation, with 8 speeds
With the development of the new 8-speed automatic transmission by ZF, the focus is not on the number of speeds but rather on the minimization of fuel consumption. There are a number of innovations that contribute to this development. The result: in comparison to the most efficient ZF 6-speed automatic transmission of the second generation, the new 8HP saves up to six percent more fuel, the stop-start version saves even up to eleven percent.
- New gear set design: four planetary gear sets and only five shift elements minimize the drag loss and increase the transmission efficiency.
- Optional hydraulic impulse oil storage (HIS) opens up the possibility of the start-stop function and increases the fuel savings potential.
- Integrated transmission control unit with extremely quick response time.
- Basic transmission can be combined with multiple power take-up elements including the torque converter, the hybrid drive, and the integrated power take-up element.
- Full hybrid compatibility: on the basis of the parallel hybrid concept, mild and full hybrid systems can be implemented with the basic transmission of the 8-speed automatic transmission.
- Vane cell pump provides optimal energy efficiency for oil flow in the transmission.
- Quick bypassing of the torque converter increases fuel efficiency.
One transmission – many possibilities
The new ZF development is an unparalleled all-rounder. With four variants, the transmission covers an exceptionally wide range of torques from 300 up to 1000 Nm, and can thus be installed in several vehicle categories and engine types. It is made even more flexible by a modular system that allows the transmission to be combined with a large variety of power take-up elements, hybrid configurations, and all-wheel drive concepts – with almost no modification of the basic transmission.
Overview of the current versions of the ZF 8-speed automatic transmission:
|Product||Type of prime mover||Speeds (forw.)||Input torque (Nm)|
|8HP45||Standard / four wheel drive||8||500|
|8HP55A||four wheel drive||8||650|
|8HP70H||Standard / four wheel drive||8||700|
|8HP90||Standard / four wheel drive||8||1000|
|8P70H||Standard / four wheel drive||8||650|